I started being interested in fitness in the early eighties and for most of the years since then I believed everyone should work out an hour a day, alternating days of long cardio with days in the weight room. I sensed there was a better way but couldn’t find it. Fifteen years ago I did a few 12 week sessions of the Body for Life challenge and learned that four hours a week could be more effective. That was the beginning. For the last six years I have done the research on HIRT, taught HIRT and seen the effects in my own fitness level and in the fitness level of my clients by doing HIRT. HIRT is the acronym for High Intensity Interval Resistance Training. At FitMania it is affectionately called boot camp even though it looks different than other boot camp programs.
How It Works:
We have learned over the last dozen years that 20 minutes of interval training is much better than an hour of steady cardio for weight loss, metabolic rate and for cardiovascular fitness. That was why the Body or Life program was able to reduce the time demands and get improved results. You still had three hours a week for weights but the cardio was reduced to three, intense 20 minute interval workouts.
So what about those three hours of weights every week? Well, instead of using the same few muscles to get your heart rate up for that 20 minutes of interval training, you get off the treadmill and use large multi-joint, multi-muscle movements. You use your own body weight and move in ways your body was intended to move to get your heart rate up and your resistance (weight) training at the same time. The exercises are timed intervals instead of your usual sets and reps. Can you get enough muscle this way? It is at least as effective as traditional weight lifting in building muscle definition and superior in terms of real strength and toning.
1. Time. A maximum of 30 minutes of work with a warm up and cool down takes 45 minutes 5 – 6 x week. That is truly all you need! Getting out and doing physical activity every day is good for body and soul, but go do things you enjoy as part of a healthy life style rather than spending all that time in the gym. This is your workout.
2. Metabolism. Builds a faster metabolism far better than traditional programs.
3. Less injury. Because we use natural movement, closed chain, multi-joint, multi-muscle exercises with little weight there is very little risk of injury.
4. Cheaper. It’s better than personal training, about $5 a class, and you don’t need a gym membership.
You see “boot camps” everywhere lately and they are NOT all created equal! At FitMania we use HIRT training at its best. This is group training but with small classes and individual attention. We want you to be successful!
- There is no foolish waste of time. We use only the best exercises based on the latest science, no gadgets or gizmos.
- This is a metabolic workout. That means you burn calories for 36-48 hours after you workout and, with consistent participation, a faster metabolism.
- You build lean muscle mass which also builds a faster metabolism.
- You can do it regardless of your fitness level.
- There is much less chance of injury than traditional fitness programs.
- First session is always free and if you would like a consultation first that is also free.
- Each week the workouts are new and never repeated.
- You won’t find a better 45 minute workout.
- At FitMania you will find a unique culture where trainers and other clients are invested in your success.
“All of the body’s systems – digestive, circulatory, immune, and so on – are interrelated. The common thread that binds them together is movement. The faster the molecules of the body move the, higher the metabolic rate. The higher the metabolic rate, the healthier the human being. We are designed to run, jump, climb, fall, roll, and skip.” – Pete Egoscue
HIRT works. Believe it!
You can always try a boot camp at FitMania for FREE. Call in advance or just show up.